Planning a trip to Switzerland? Surely, you aren’t going back without visiting the most popular & hotspot tourist destination, Zurich. And why not?
The largest city in Switzerland and the capital of the Canton region, the city of Zurich invites millions of travelers every year to admire the natural Swiss alps beauty, historic churches, museums, and several architectural wonders in Old Town with a tour to the magical Lake Zurich. Sounds fun, right?
From hiking, day trips, and night out, to restaurants serving gourmet & street food and of course, exotic stuff to buy from Bahnhofstrasse and the Bahnhof, the financial hub of the country offers so many amazing things to do.
However, searching for the best place to stay can be a little daunting since Zurich is an expensive city in terms of transportation, food, and accommodation too. From luxury to mid-range and budgeted hotels, you have to carry a heavy pocket to find a place to stay.
Looking for a specific area or reliable hotel to stay in Zurich? We have brought you the best recommendations in terms of areas & hotels. Let’s have a look:
Best Areas & Hotels To Stay In Zurich
The total distance from Zurich airport to Old Town is 10.8km. District 1, ie. Altstadt (Old Town) is the best area to stay in Zurich. The place has easier connectivity to Zurich train station, regular taxis, & tram lines. A regular airport transfer in Zurich will cost you €58.88 for a 20 minutes trip with a reliable driver.
Whether walking around the pedestrian-only cobblestone streets, or iconic buildings, clubs, theaters, street performers, and high-end shops, there are so many things to do & explore. Plus, most major sights & landmarks of the city are lying within walking distance including Hauptbahnhof (Zurich’s Central Railway Station). What could be a better option than staying in an area where most attractions of the city are situated?
Popular Sights To See In Old Town:
1. Predigerkirche, Fraumünster, Grossmünster and Sankt Peter churches
2. Bürkliplatz, Bellevue and Central squares
3. Pavillon Le Corbusier, and the Rietberg, Strauhof and Kunsthaus Zürich museums
4. Zentralbibliothek Zürich etc.
5. Swiss National Museum
6. Plus, you can get a range of hotels here as per your comfort.
Best Hotels To Stay In Old Town Include:
1. Luxury Hotel – Baur au Lac – If you are a leisure traveler, a private chauffeur can drop you here within half an hour avoiding traffic. The 5-Star hotel situated in the heart of Zurich offers breathtaking views of Lake Zurich and the Swiss Alps. Also, many iconic sites of the city such as Bahnhofstrasse, Parade Square, Lindenhof, and Kunsthaus can be explored on foot. The hotel offers 2 restaurants, free WiFi, a top-class fitness center, and a bar.
2. Mid Range hotel: citizenM Zürich – The 4-Star hotel has closer proximity to the popular points of the city such as Fraumünster, Grossmünster, and Bellevueplatz. Also, the nearest Zurich airport is only 12 km away, making it a convenient place to arrive at. You will be enjoying a delicious breakfast at a restaurant, bar, air-conditioned rooms with free WiFi, and a private bathroom.
3. Budget hotel: Motel One Zürich – Situated within a walking distance of Paradeplatz and Bahnhofstrasse and 1.2 km from Grossmünster. The hotel comes with well-decorated rooms, flat-screen TV, WiFi, and a buffet breakfast at the restaurant. You can reach here within 20 minutes from the airport and visit the Zurich Opera House and Swiss National Museum.
You can reach here within 20 minutes as the distance from Zurich airport to Unterstrass is only 13.9 km. If you are traveling with family & children, Unterstrass is the perfect choice for you. Though the area is far from the town, it is peaceful with less crowded, making it stay-friendly and a go-to option. It is located in District 6, and you can enjoy a short tram ride to get to the City Center.
Popular Sights To See In Unterstrass
1. Zurich zoo
5. Swiss National Museum
6. Zurich town hall
Best Hotels To Stay In Unterstrass
1. Luxury Hotel – Hotel Krone Unterstrass – If you are a peace-loving person, this is the best place for you to stay in Zurich. It will take you 13 minutes to get here from the Zurich airport. Situated in the center of Zurich, next to the Kronenstrasse train station, it is very convenient to get to the city center. The hotel features spacious rooms with air conditioning & WiFi, and 5 different rooms to accommodate up to 200 people with a massive conference & banquet.
2. Mid Range Hotel – ibis Styles Zurich City Center – There is only a 5-minute walk from the main train station, while it will take you a 15-minutes drive from the airport. While staying, feel free to enjoy the Limmat river, nearby museums, and iconic attractions.
3. Budget Hotel – Bristol Hotel – An affordable option to stay in Zurich, the hotel is a 5-minute walk from the Zurich Main Train Station and ETH university. The ambiance is quiet in the center and offers big rooms and a restaurant. Feel free to wander around local shops, restaurants, and public transport stops.
Zurich City West
Looking for a budgeted neighborhood in Zurich? Since Zurich is such an expensive city in terms of accommodation, Zurich City West is the best option for you, especially for night creatures who want to explore the trendy bars, chic restaurants, cocktails, and cool brands of the city. It will take you a 15 minutes drive from Zurich airport to Zurich City West. The former industrial area is the coolest area to stay for exciting nightlife.
Popular Sights To See In Zurich City West:
1. Zurich’s opera
2. Kunsthalle Zurich
3. Galerie Francesca Pia and Bob van Orsouw
4. Prime Tower (one of Zurich’s tallest sky-scrapers)
Best Hotels To Stay In Zurich West
1. Luxury Hotel – Renaissance Zurich Tower Hotel – The 5-Star hotel enjoys closer proximity to the Zurich railway station situated 500 m away, directly connects you to Zurich central station, Zurich Lake, and the most famous shopping destination, Bahnhofstrasse within just 3 minutes. Intercity rides in Zurich can drive you to the Mobimo Tower and all the popular clubs like Moods im Schiffbau, Komplex457, and Hive with a driver on standby. The hotel features air-conditioned rooms and suites, a Club room, and a buffet restaurant.
2. Mid Range Hotel – 25hours Hotel Zürich West – The hotel is situated within a walking distance of the Swiss prime tower & multiplex cinema, making it a favorable hotel to stay in. It features a Ribelli restaurant, a top-floor sauna, well-decorated rooms with AC, a minibar, and a private bathroom.
3. Budget Hotel –Viktoria Budget Hostel – You must stay in this hotel as many attractions are situated in closer proximity such as Zurich Exhibition Hall (4 km), Paradeplatz (4.4 km), Lindenhof (4.2 km), Bahnhofstrasse (4.2 km), and Swiss National Museum (3.8 km). The hotel features a shared lounge, garden, and views of the river.
Langstrasse & Aussersihl (District 4)
Want to explore an area that never sleeps? Welcome to Langstrasse, situated right next to the Hauptbahnhof, also known as “District 4”. Nightlife/party lovers can wander in international restaurants, bars, clubs, and fast food places for after-parties filled with fun, entertainment, and thrill. It is also the red-light district in Zurich. The distance from Zurich airport to Langstrasse is 11 km. Aussersihl is located in the northwest of the Zurich Old Town. If you are a party freak, you must try District 4.
Popular Sights To See In Langstrasse & Aussersihl
1. Kasernenareal park
4. Swiss National Museum
5. Swiss Exchange
6. Christmas Market
7. Urania Observatory
Best Hotels To Stay In Langstrasse & Aussersihl
1. Luxury Hotel – 25hours Hotel Langstrasse – Situated in district 4, the luxury hotel has an easy approach to the main station. A Business Car Class can drive you to the hotel for €57.04 with a travel time of 20 minutes. Besides, you can also explore the Swiss National Museum, Bahnhofstrasse at a walking distance from the hotel.
2. Mid Range Hotel – Zurich Furnished Homes – The hotel enjoys great connectivity to the Zurich airport & Zurich HB. Also, many of the city’s attractions lie here such as Bahnhofstrasse, Lindenhof, Paradeplatz, Grossmünster, Fraumünster. Enjoy staying in big rooms with a kitchen, and a private bathroom.
3. Budget Hotel – Gasthaus zum Guten Glück – The hotel is situated 1.4 km from Bahnhofstrasse and 9 km from the Zurich airport. You can easily explore Paradeplatz, and the Swiss national museum while staying in the hotel.